Monday, May 3, 2010

Chocolate Milk & A Sharp Left to Nowhere...

I'm sitting here on my couch with my glass of yummy chocolate milk contemplating where my novel is going. I have it laid out in my mind, but dragging it out of my head has become a problem today. I'm 7500 words into it and somehow about 1500 ago it lost its way and took a sharp left at the car rental place to rent a car to go somewhere. Where I don't know. I think my MC needs to learn to use the GPS that is installed in the rental car she and her best friend rented.

After researching for hours and hours about the Cajun Loup-Garou, I'm not really finding any specific locations or types of things I'm looking for, so I'm taking a new route. I'm changing locations of the story. Back to my original idea of a small town, even though its been over done like a million times. Every werewolf type story I've ever read happens in a small town. Actually a lot of the monster type stories evolve in small towns. I may even change my "monster" into something a little bit different than your typical werewolf. I'm not sure yet. I'm still compiling notes and research. I know I'll figure it out though, so I'm not stressing about it. It's just pretty aggravating when it starts out easy and then I have to get the pry bar out of the garage to pry it out of my head. I'm sure if you're a writer, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

3 comments:

Lydia Kang said...

I know that feeling! When the story turns in a certain direction and you're like, "uh, not that way!"
Good luck on using that crowbar and making the story go your way.

Unknown said...

Ooh, the dreaded left turn! Hang in there -- those usually end up yielding the most amazing possibilities!

Best of luck with it!

Callie Forester said...

Haha...I've taken lefts, rights, loop-de-loops etc...Two years into writing my book now and I'm still coming up with new ideas--even though the entire plot line is supposedly mapped out. Then I go back and change everything. Again. Sometimes I feel like I'll never finish--the only thing I can do is have faith that all the changes are for the better and that--one amazingly happy day--I'll actually type the end.

My name is Callie by the way. I found your blog through Christine Danek--who submitted to my website for critique. :) We do free critiques over there for a couple submissions a month if you're ever interested. :)

Anyway, I like your blog and since I'm following you now, I thought I'd introduce myself! :)

Feel free to come over to my website and say hi! We have forums where we talk about all kinds of writing stuff, a blog where we do fun stuff, contest, book reviews, writing tips, author interview etc...

Anyway, it was nice to "meet" you. Good luck with your book!